If you received a traffic citation in which:
- Did not involve a traffic accident
- Is your first violation in the past 12 months
- Is not for speeding in excess of 20 mph over the posted limit (actual speed listed on the citation)
- Is not for speeding in a school zone
- Does not require a mandatory appearance before a Judge
You will be presented with the following options.
Option 1 - Forfeiting the Bail
You may forfeit the bail which has been established by the Utah State Uniform Bail Schedule and, your case will be closed. The corresponding points will be assessed to your driving record.
If you do not do appear or pay the fine within 14 calendar days from the date written on the citation, then a delinquent notice will be mailed, adding $50 to your fine. If you do not respond to the delinquent notice, a "failure to appear" violation will be added and a warrant will be issued for your arrest, adding another $75 or more to your charges and possible suspension of your driving license.
Option 2 - Traffic Safety Class
Offered online only at an additional cost. You must first qualify and sign a plea in abeyance agreement in person with the court clerk.
Option 3 - Hearing
You have the right to request a Pre-trial Conference with the Judge. All court dates must be scheduled with the court clerk. Walk-in hearings are not available.