The Utah County Health Department and the Utah Department of Environmental Quality issued an algal bloom warning for Utah Lake in 8 locations, including the Saratoga Springs Marina. The warning was issued for Cyanobacteria and Microcystin.
A Warning Advisory indicates a moderate relative probability of acute health risk, cell-count density of 20,000 – 10 million cells per milliliter (cells/ml), microcystin levels of 4-2,000 micrograms per liter (µg/L), or anatoxin-a levels above non-detect.
Saratoga Springs Marina tested at the following levels:
- Cyanobacteria: 1.4 million (above minimum of warning threshold of 20,000)
- Microcystin: >5 (specific level not given, but tested above the minimum warning threshold of >5)
- Do not swim or water ski
- Do not ingest the water
- Keep pets and livestock away
- Clean fish well and discard guts
- Avoid areas of scum when boating
For more detail and the most current updates, please visit: https://deq.utah.gov/water-quality/utah-lake-jordan-river-canals-algal-bloom-monitoring-2018