Safe Cooking Tips
Safe Cooking Tips
- Always use cooking equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory such as Underwriters Laboratories.
- Check electrical cords for cracks, breaks, or damage.
- Check food that is cooking regularly; use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Have a kid-free zone of at least 3 feet around the stove.
- Keep anything that can catch fire - oven mitts, wooden utensils, towels, curtains - away from your stove top.
- Keep the stove top, burners, and oven clean.
- Never hold a child while cooking, drinking, or carrying hot foods or liquids.
- Never leave boiling, frying, or broiling food unattended.
- Plug microwave ovens or other cooking appliances directly into an outlet.
- Wear short, close fitting, or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking.
If You Have a Cooking Fire
Cooking equipment is involved in over 30% of home structure fires. What you should do:
- Just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 911 after you leave.
- If you do try to fight the fire, be sure others are already getting out and you have a clear path to the exit.
- Always keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan.
- In case of an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed. Clean the oven before using it again.
- Check your propane cylinder hose for leaks before igniting.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area by declaring a 3 foot kid-free zone.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
- Periodically remove grease and fat buildup in trays below the grill so it cannot be ignited by a hot grill.
- Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas, and shrubs/trees.
- Position the grill well away from siding and deck railings and out from under eaves.
- Put out several long handled grilling tools to give the chef plenty of clearance from the heat and flames.
- Use barbecue grills only outdoors!