The Saratoga Springs Police Department wants to ensure all our residents have a safe Halloween this year. Trick or Treating can be a fun and exciting activity for all ages if done with a few safety precautions:
- Use face paint instead of a mask as a mask can block vision.
- Wear light colored costumes or use reflective tape, stickers or glow sticks to help you be visible.
- Use a light colored candy bag for better visibility.
- Wear shoes that fit to avoid tripping or falling.
- Ensure your costume isn’t too long to create a tripping hazard.
- Don’t drink alcohol or use drugs and then drive. We need our streets as safe as possible on Halloween night!
- SLOW DOWN and watch for kids.
- If you’re driving children around for trick-or-treating, make sure everyone is buckled up appropriately in a car seat, booster or seat belt. Do this every time they enter the car, and check to make sure they’re secure before driving to the next stop.
- Put your cell phone down and don’t use any other mobile device while driving. Pull over to safely check voice messages or texts if necessary.
- Be especially alert for trick-or-treaters during the popular trick-or-treating hours of 5:30 - 9:30 pm.
- Trick or Treaters under age 12 should be accompanied by an adult.
- Trick or treat in familiar and well lit areas.
- Kids should never enter any house without an adult.
- Cross the street at intersections using crosswalks where possible.
- Parents should inspect all candy before children eat any.
- All opened or tampered with treats should be thrown away.
- If you see anything suspicious during your celebrations please call (801) 794-3970. By taking a few precautions we can ensure that all of the kids in our community have a fun, safe Halloween.